Monday, March 7, 2016

Take A Deep Breath

     I just read a very boring chapter in my anatomy book about the "special senses." One of these senses is olfaction, or smell. When you smell, odorants dissolve in your mucus and are transported to your brain. So actual molecules from the object go into your body, just think of that the next time you go inside a public bathroom. These molecules go into your limbic system, which controls your emotions, so naturally you'll feel hungry when you smell delicious food, or disgusted when you smell something gross.

     A couple nights ago, I went to a friend's house because we are both on spring break and haven't seen each other in an amount of time that just seems too long. I walked into his house that just smelled so clean. They're showing their house for sale, so it needs to be in tip-top shape. It was that smell that's kind of similar to new shoes or a new car. I immediately started to feel welcomed. We started out like all young, free men do: playing some video games, until Anthony got a text from one of our UMF friends. She wanted to see us and hang out, so we left. We went out to the car, and headed to downtown Farmington. As soon as I got out of the car, I got a big whiff of the old town. It smelled of old buildings and nature, but not the gross, sweaty nature. It was that sweet smell that you get if you go into Maine from a big-city state. It made me really feel like I was going to slap on some kinvaras and go for a run. Anthony and I walked to her dorm and she let us in. Instantly, I was attacked with the smell of moth balls. I don't think the dorms at UMF have been redone since they were first made. We walked up the stairs and into her dorm, which was like walking through the make-up section of a mall. There were three girls in total and I think they might've used enough perfume for four.

     We talked for a while, and I couldn't tell if Anthony was feeling it, but it was a little uncomfortable for me. These college girls were very noticeably intoxicated from the various alcohols on their desk, except for one girl who is allergic to ethanol. They wanted to go out to this apartment that was probably filed to the brim with alter-minded college kids. First, though, we had to pick up some other people. We walked to this guy's house on a nearby street. As I walked in, I just got the biggest feeling of awkwardness mixed with nervousness because this place reeked of cigarettes. We were there for a total of three seconds and left for the apartment.

     The apartment complex door opened with the rush of townies trying to get in. Walking up those stained-carpeted stairs, I wanted to leave. Anthony and I kept exchanging "lets run away now" looks, but never acted upon those glares. Once we were at the top, I got the instant smell of just pure dirty, disgusting, unwashed ass. We walked through the hallway that was riddled with red solo cups and brown stains until we got into an individual's home. It smelled of beer. Beer and sweat were the only things you could smell in this whole apartment. We stood in the same corner for about two hours just taking everything in and messing with the drunkards, but then another law was broken in that apartment. A sudden odor of weed came over the room and we were taken under a cloud of smoke. I felt so out of place. Thankfully, we decided to leave at that point. Rushing through the crowd and down the moldy stairs, we couldn't get out of there quicker. The door to freedom swung open and the cold outside air filled my lungs. I felt safe. Safe from the disturbing cloud that seems to always surround Farmington. We walked back and drove home. When I got to my house, I walked up the stairs and dropped into my bed. One day of spring break done, and my pillow smelled like sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment