Tuesday, January 26, 2016

General Education

     I take a class called ENG 205; it's creative writing. This lecture is far from what I was expecting. I thought it'd be an easy course, but have a lot of work. Turns out it's an easy course with zero work. Today, we partnered up and walked around the building with our eyes closed. One partner had to close their eyes and the other had to be the guide. It was bizarre. So we did that and came back to the classroom only to be told to walk blindly again. I honestly don't get our professor. He's this tiny old man who always wears this black as night under armor beanie, and he talks like this. Usually, it's really hard not to fall asleep in his class, but today he brought up some interesting subjects. I finally understood why we kept closing our eyes.

     We talked about uncomfortableness. How, without our eyes, it's hard to be comfortable with walking around. Which is only too true. While I had my eyes closed, I was scared I was going to run into a wall or even go off a cliff (even though I knew there were no deadly cliffs in the building, I just hate high cliffs). It was uncomfortable, but at the same time it was interesting because you didn't know what was going to happen. You just had to put trust in your partner. It's like this with writing. When you have an idea, your hand doesn't know what's going to happen. It just has to trust your beautiful mind that something magnificent is going to happen, and that is pretty interesting. This Gen-Ed class is teaching us how to trust in our writing just like we trust other things in our life.

     I find that writing is so much better when improved. In high school, I would always plan what I was going to write. Have it mapped out and outlined. Always wined and dined before the real action  happens, but I've come to the conclusion that it just makes the writing process more tedious and unenjoyable. If I just start. If I just let the words from my mind write themselves, everything comes out. Planning, you'll take everything that you don't like out. Of course, when you're writing an important essay, planning helps and you should do it. Though I feel like when I sit down and write a blog, I don't want to know what I'm going to say until I type it. It just feels so raw. So, with these posts, I never know what I'm going to write or how much of it I'm going to write. I just write.

No comments:

Post a Comment