Sunday, January 31, 2016

Find me

     One of the things that my parents expressed the most about coming to college was finding a good church to go to. Now, at this time, I was more on the impression that I was done with the whole christian thing. I really lost myself senior year, but I met someone who's first priority was God. She helped me to realize why I once thought that God was the most important thing to be in our lives. So I did search for churches; the only problem was that, on the cross country team here, we have morning long run at 9 am on Sundays, and every church in the area had service during that time. I was starting to lose hope on keeping up with God, even all the christian groups I could find met during my classes or practice. Luckily, I found a website of devotions called Young Adult and College Age Bible Lessons. This site saved me. Even though I'm not experienced in teaching the word to myself, the Rock Springs Baptist Church really helped me to find a way to worship God again.

     Though there was still something missing from my faith: fellowship. Of course studying God is our time to reflect, but you still have that feeling that you can't share it with anyone. Turns out that there was a group that met every Monday night that I could go to. It was an FCA group, which is Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Fellowship is in the name! Two girls on the cross country team asked me if I wanted to go, and it was definitely one of the best decisions that I've made since coming to college. Being with everyone who believes in the same thing as you is just indescribable after thinking you'll have to do it alone. I thank God for giving me this opportunity for finding me... again. It's these little victories that let you know that He's still there looking out for you. No matter how lost you may come to be.

     The progression continued as I started to go to church with the same two girls and two other guys. We are in the middle of the search right now because we started trying out this new church. I have to give it to my parents for finding good churches. It's hard to do. I wish all churches just had a talented music group and an intelligent pastor, not just one of those attributes. I remember when we came to Maine, the search for a new church wasn't easy. We used to live in Texas, which is part of the Bible Belt, and we had this amazing church called Grace Community Presbyterian Church. The community that was in this church was so heart warming, and the music was the perfect mix of old-fashioned and modern. Her pastor was a master. He was a man that truly cared about the word and the people he told spread it to. Maine doesn't have much like that. Don't get me wrong, there are fantastic churches in Maine, but I don't think the Willinghams will find a church like the one we had. Now I'm here in college trying to find a church that satisfies our little group. Whatever we choose to do though, I know that God will be watching out for us. I know that he won't lead us from His path.

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration to your peer group. In more ways than you know, you, as Kyle posted, are missed.

    ReplyDelete