Thursday, January 14, 2016

Goblin - Issue One 'Yonkers'

     Over the course of 2015, I was inspired by a song that would shock you. This song isn't one that would inspire someone like me per say. It's more of a song that would help people with troubled lives. Actually, it's not even that. It's not an inspiring song. This song, Yonkers, is more of a rant of this guy's inner demons coming out and why they do. Oh Tyler, the Creator. So he raps about how his inner demon, or 'goblin' is the source of his transgressions, so basically, that inspired me to write a short story that would be a representation of my life through this character named Goblin. I was going through a tough time during this point of my life. Things were going really terribly with my girlfriend at that time and I was battling some injuries from running. So much pent up anger was inside me and I let out through these words; great therapy.

---

     There was a man named Goblin. He was average height, average weight. He went through everyday life with a smile on his face, but that was just his problem: his face. It was a wretched piece of green muck. Already hard to look at, Goblin had awful breath. No one wanted to talk to him, but he kept walking on, just like every other self-injesting person.

     The only difference between Goblin and everyone else is that Goblin would do anything for a butterfly. He loved those juicy, succulent creatures. The feeling of them in his stomach, alone, could bring him to tears, tears of joy. So even though he would complete tasks that people wanted him to do, all they gave him were cockroaches. Now eating cockroaches is a sin in itself, but they're what causes his diseased skin and death breath. All Goblin desires in his most miserable life is one beautiful, tasty butterfly.

     In the mid afternoon on the 3rd day of March, Goblin was approached by a loving Lion. Mrs. Lion looked very worried; her tail was wagging as fast as it could and she kept looking around.
Goblin, will you please watch my weeds while I go get more water for their growth?
Well I have to go brush my teeth later, but I guess I could wait a little bit longer. How long are you thinking you'll be gone?
Oh, no longer than a day. I'll be back as soon as you can say growth. Just be here tomorrow so I can pick up my babies.
Alright, sounds good. Your weeds are safe with me Mrs. Lion!

     So Goblin watched the weeds. They weren't the easiest to watch, with all their crying and whining for water. Goblin tried to provide them with some of his own, but they cried even harder for Mrs. Lion's precious water. So the crying and whining persisted into the long night. Goblin was relieved because it was finally time to take them to the spot. Though, when he reached the drop off zone, all he saw was a note that read in red. scribbly ink: "They were out of water, need to go back for more. Tell my babies I love them! Goblin's relief was gone. He had to watch Mrs. Lion's weeds yet another day, and, worse, he wasn't able to wash his face OR make up for brushing his teeth. I'll look like this forever, Goblin thought.

     The next day came by. Goblin, tired from a sleepless night of the weeds whining and crying, went back to the spot. Now Goblin felt real relief, for Mrs. Lion was there there carrying two jugs of water.
Hi Goblin! I hope my weeds didn't bother you at all.
No 'mam, they were as perfect as can be.
I knew my babies wouldn't cause any trouble. I bought you something for your troubles.
Mrs. Lion handed Goblin a cockroach, a big one.
Oh, thank you Mrs. Lion, but I think I'll pass.
Nonesense my boy eat that right up, it's delicious.
Goblin bit into the cockroach. It was juicy, but not like a big juicy watermelon. It was more of a creme filled egg. Goblin hated it, but he ate it anyway. It was finally time to wash his face and brush his teeth.

     Though there was one good thing about Goblin's tragic story. He had a flower that he cherished very much. The flower's name was Violet. Goblin cared for this flower, just waiting for it to bestow him with a butterfly. When he first found her, Violet would give him many butterflies, but, as the moons past, the butterflies became less and less frequent. No matter how much Goblin cared for Violet, putting her in the sunlight, butterflies started turning into cockroaches. The cockroaches started becoming more and more frequent until there were absolutely no more butterflies.

     On the 9th day of March, Goblin couldn't handle all the cockroaches. He took one look in the mirror and it cracked. Goblin was fed up. He approached Violet.
Violet, have you noticed anything different?
No, I feel everything has been the same, why?
Well you have been giving me a lot of cockroaches lately.
Goblin, that has nothing to do with me, that is your own doing.
No, cockroaches are not good for me. All I do is wash my face, brush my teeth, and provide you with the proper sunlight.
Oh, speaking of proper sunlight... Goblin... I'm feeling a bit shady right about now. Would you mind getting me some?
Are you even listening to me? My face is green Violet. Green. You know that I am hurting. Every time I put one of your cockroaches into my mouth, my face and breath get worse and worse.
Goblin, I said sunlight. Now.
Okay, okay. I'll give you your sunlight.
Goblin pushed Violet into the sunlight. She soaked it up like a sponge.
Thanks Goblin. You're the best. I don't know what I'd do without you. Here's a cockroach.
Violet, I just said I don't want anymore cockroaches.
I'm doing this for you. I want you to be happy. Please eat it.
What happened to all your butterflies Violet? I miss those so much. Why don't you give those to me anymore?

Goblin I no longer have any butterflies for you.

---

     Wow reading that again brought up some great times with my ex. Writing this all down really did help me through that. Of course, she never found out about this. This, was mine. It helped me to finally realize I had to express what I was feeling to her in person, not just through my creation of Goblin. The whole last sequence of Goblin asking about what's going wrong with Violet was premature for me. Meaning, I wrote that before I actually did that in real life. Writing that made me realize that it was actually time to talk. It helped me straighten out my mind. Feelings can fog the mind. This was a perfect example. I thought  I absolutely loved this girl only to find that she was making me miserable. I needed this therapy to reach the thoughts out of my unconscious mind and surface them to my reality.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment